This yogurt dip recipe was inspired by a recent trip to Istanbul.
In most restaurants after you are seated a waiter comes along with a tray filled with little dishes (mezze or appetizers). There is typically an assortment of hot and cold items available with flavors that vary from mild to spicy.
Going out for appetizers was one of my favorite ways to eat in the city because it gave me a nice range of things to try without having to order a big heavy meal.
The yogurt dip, with its creamy texture, was always available and was a recommended side dish for meat dishes or just to use for a dip with bread. This version has a slight kick with the addition of a jalapeño pepper.
Here are a few additional Turkish Recipes so that you can create your own mezze platter at home.
- 3 Cups Plain Unsweetened Yogurt
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper, deseeded and diced.
- 1 Small Cucumber, deseeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Mint, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, chopped
- Sumac and Dried Mint (as a garnish)
- Combine all of the ingredients and cover. Allow to set in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.