Risotto is one of those dishes that every cook needs to have in their collection. This Italian favorite is versatile, pretty easy to make and is elegant enough to serve for a dinner party.
Pin it for later
Using Vialone nano or arborio rice is recommended, but any short or medium grain rice will do. The important thing is not to rinse the rice, as you would in a dish where you want individual grains of rice.
With risotto, you want to retain the starches that surround the rice grains that thicken when cooked and stirred. This helps the rice achieve a nice rich and creamy texture that is classic in risotto dishes.
Secret to the Perfect Risotto
The important thing to remember when making risotto is keeping the rice to liquid ratio at 1:3. Keeping some of the other steps in place are also key to making a successful risotto.
- Make sure to sauté the rice in butter or olive oil before adding the liquid.
- Stir frequently, but not constantly. This will help achieve the creamy texture and avoid the rice becoming too sticky.
- Use heated liquid, whether using stock or a combination or stock and wine.
- Stir in a little butter and cheese at the end will make it extra creamy and luxurious.
- Serve immediately. Allowing the risotto to sit and cool can also compromise the texture
With just a few ingredients a little creativity, you can use this recipe as the basis for making your own favorite version. Sausage and Mushroom, Bacon with Caramelized Onion, Shrimp with Peas and Lemon, or Wild Mushroom Risotto topped with whipped goat cheese and drizzled with a little truffle oil are some of my favorites.
Instant Pot Risotto
Yes, it is possible to make risotto in an Instant Pot. As a matter of fact, I find that rice recipes in general come out very well in an Instant Pot. You can find our recipe for Instant Pot Risotto on our sister site, SteamyCooker.com.
Here are some additional Italian inspired recipes you might enjoy:
- 3 Links (10 ounces or 284 g) Italian Sausage
- 1 Small Onion, Diced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tablespoons (45 g) Butter
- 1 Cup (220 g) Vialone Nano or Arborio Rice
- 3 Cups (710 ml) Vegetable or Chicken Stock, low salt
- 1 Cup (237 ml) Dry White Wine
- 2 Teaspoons (11.4 g) Salt
- 8-10 Fresh Stalks of Asparagus
- 1/2 Cup (45 g) Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Sprigs Italian Parsley, Diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Remove the sausage links from their casing and crumble.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil (15 g) to a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the sausage and onion. Continue to cook until they begin to brown (approximately 8 - 10 minutes). Then add the garlic and continue to cook until the sausage is cooked through.
- Drain the fat and set aside
- After washing the asparagus, remove the bottom 1/3 of the Asparagus stalk and cut the remaining stock into 1" (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Add the asparagus tips to boiling water seasoned with 2 teaspoons (11.4 g) salt. Once the water returns to a boil, turn down to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer for 3 - 4 minutes until the asparagus is tender.
- Rinse the asparagus with cold water and set aside.
- Combine the broth and wine in a sauté pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low but make sure the liquid remains hot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons (30 g) of butter in a wide shallow sauté pan over medium heat. Add the rice and cook for about 2 minutes. Do not allow it to brown.
- Add about 1 cup (237 ml) of liquid to the rice, stirring occasionally, and cook until the liquid is completely absorbed. Continue adding liquid in this manner until the rice is al dente - about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the Parmesan cheese and stir until they have melted into rice.
- Add the sausage and asparagus and continue cook until they are heated through.
- Stir in the parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: There is disagreement about how thick risotto should be. Some like it with more liquid - like a thick soup. Others prefer a thicker consistency. With a little practice you'll find your favorite preparation
Amount Per Serving Calories 321Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 35mgSodium 550mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 11g
Nutritional Values are Estimates Only