This recipe comes courtesy of our friends at Eating Italy. We made it during our a cooking class while we in Rome – Cooking With Nonna (Grandmother). The name of the dish translates loosely to “Jump In Your Mouth” celebrating the full flavors of this dish.
A few additional Italian inspired recipes you might enjoy!
- 8 veal cutlets
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 sage leaves
- flour spread on a plate for dredging
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges
- Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each veal cutlet and pound in lightly with a meat pounder – this will ensure that the prosciutto doesn’t come off the veal while cooking.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Put a sage leaf in the center of each cutlet.
- Weave a toothpick in and out of the veal to secure the prosciutto and sage.
- Lightly coat both sides of the cutlet in flour, and shake off any extra.
- Place the cutlet prosciutto-side down in the pan and cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides.
- Transfer the veal to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep it warm. Continue until all of the pieces of veal are cooked. Remove the toothpicks from the veal.
- To make your sauce, drain the oil from the pan. Add the white wine and deglaze (i.e. use a wooden spoon to scrape and loosen bits from the bottom of the pan – this will give your sauce a lot of flavor).
- Let it cook for a minute or two. Next add the chicken broth and butter and swirl the sauce around a bit to mix everything together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let the sauce bubble a bit until it reduces by half.
- Pour the sauce over the cutlets and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
Some of the links on this article are affiliate links, which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, we receive a small referral fee. If you find the links useful and do make a purchase, thanks so much for your support!