This version also includes green onions for a little extra color and flavor.
Salate de Vinete (or Aubergine dip) is a very light spread that is often part of a Romanian appetizer platter. The platter can have a variety of items, such as smoked meats, sausages, meatballs (Chiftele), cheeses and other spreads such as Zacasca (another colorful vegetable dip), or Fasole Batatu (white bean dip).
The platter come with a loaf of rustic crusty bread, which is the perfect vehicle from which to enjoy the eggplant spread.
In Romania, this “salad” is so popular that it is often eaten on bread for breakfast or lunch, or served as an appetizer on its own.
Just because I like to make my recipes very quick and easy, I use a food processor to blend the ingredients. Traditionally, the eggplant is mashed and the onions are chopped and stirred in so that the dish is a little more chunky. Either method, mashing by hand or blending using a food processor, will result in a delicious dip.
Add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark it for later!
Here are some additional Eastern European recipes that you might enjoy!
- 3 large eggplants
- 2 green onions - diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 tablespoons sunflower or other vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Pierce the eggplant skin several times, which will allow steam to escape while the eggplant cooks.
- Place the eggplant on a greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning the eggplant over a few times as it bakes.
- When the eggplant is soft and fully cooked (the skin should be slightly blackened), remove them from the oven and place in a colander to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the skin.
- Place the eggplant flesh in a dish towel, and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Place the eggplant flesh in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the lemon juice and green onion (reserving some to use as a garnish)
- Begin to blend and slowly add oil.
- Blend until the dip reaches your desired consistency. Traditional dips are chunky.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
Amount Per Serving Calories 108Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 40mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 7gSugar 8gProtein 2g
The nutritional values are an estimate only and will adjust depending on the specific ingredients used