Romanian White bean dip (Fasole Batatu) is a frequent part of a traditional appetizer platter. Romanian’s love their platters to be piled high with cold cuts, rustic meatballs (chiftele), assorted cheeses and often several kinds of dips or spreads.
White Bean dip, along with a simple spread featuring eggplant (salata de vinete), and a colorful cooked spread made with seasonal vegetables (zacusca) are the most common spreads to be used on the platter, often together.
Fasole Batatu, was one of our favorites, mostly because of the wonderful caramelized onion topping.
In this recipe, we opted to use precooked beans, which makes it quick and easy to make.
Add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark it for later!
Here are some additional Eastern European recipes (including traditional Romania food) you might enjoy!
- 1 15 ounce (425g) can of white beans, such as cannellini
- 2 medium white onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons (10g) sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons (42ml)vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (14ml) Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (28ml) Olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sweet or hot Paprika or cayenne pepper for garnish
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Add them to a blender or food process along with the vegetable oil, garlic and sweet paprika.
- Blend until smooth.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the onions into thin rounds.
- Add them to a saute pan over medium low heat with the olive oil.
- Allow them to cook slowly (about 20 minutes).
- When the onions begin to brown, add the balsamic vinegar.
- Continue to cook until the onions are a dark brown color.
- Put the bean dip in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with sweet paprika, or, if you want a little heat, you can choose hot paprika, or coarsely ground red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Top with the onion. Optionally, leave some onions on the side as an additional garnish if preparing crostini.
Some of the links on this article are affiliate links, which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, we receive a small referral fee. If you find the links useful and do make a purchase, thanks so much for your support!