If you love Mexican food then having a good red enchilada sauce is essential.
This versatile sauce is used not only to make classic enchiladas, but can also be modified to use with fish, as part of a base for slow cooked dishes such as Barbacoa Beef, or in one of our favorite brunch dishes – Chilaquiles!
Our version is slightly smoky due to the use of chipotles in adobo sauce. These savory smoked jalapenos (chipotles) paired with additional dried chiles along with some spices, such as cinnamon and Mexican oregano is pretty easy to make at home. But don’t worry, they should be also be easy to find in the international food section of your grocery store.
Add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark it for later!
- 3 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Chicken, Beef or Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Red Onion
- Pinch Mexican Oregano
- 1 Chipotle in Adobo Sauce + 2 Teaspoons Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Lime Juice
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Place the sauce in a pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer until the sauce has the consistency of a thick pasta sauce.
Feel free to head over to our international recipes section to see our full collection of recipes inspired by our ongoing travels around the world.
Love Mexican Food? Considering a visit to Mexico? See these related articles that just might inspire you to get traveling!