If you love Mexican food then having a good red enchilada sauce is essential. This versatile sauce is used not only to make classic enchiladas, but can also be modified to use with fish, as part of a base for slow cooked dishes such as Barbacoa Beef, or in one of our favorite brunch dishes – Chilaquiles! Our version is slightly smoky due to the use of chipotles in adobo sauce. These savory smoked jalapenos (chipotles) and should be easy to find in the international food section of your grocery store.
- 3 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Chicken, Beef or Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Red Onion
- Pinch Mexican Oregano
- 1 Chipotle in Adobo Sauce + 2 Teaspoons Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Lime Juice
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Place the sauce in a pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer until the sauce has the consistency of a thick pasta sauce.
Like this recipe? Pin it for later!
Some of the links on this article are affiliate links, which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, we receive a small referral fee. If you find the links useful and do make a purchase, thanks so much for your support!