Looking for an alternative to your standard chicken salad sandwich recipe? Or are you looking for something to do with all of that fragrant fresh mint growing in the garden.
This quick poached chicken salad recipe a great alternative to classic chicken salad.
Pin it for later:
No mint? Try a few tablespoons of dried tarragon leaves. They also pair well with the slightly anise flavor of the fresh fennel bulb.
A Word About Fennel
Classic chicken salad has crunchy chucks of celery. The texture is a big bonus, but celery itself doesn’t add a lot of flavor.
If you haven’t used bulbs of fresh fennel in your recipes, give it a try. It’s a great source of vitamins and fiber and has a consistency similar to celery.
It has a mild flavor of anise which really wakes up the poach chicken and give the chicken salad a more intense flavor.
How to Poach Chicken
We use chicken breast for this recipe. Poaching it couldn’t be simpler. Just add it to a pan with cold water, covering it enough so it is submerged.
Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F or 74 C.
To add additional flavor, we use a bouillon cube to the poaching liquid. Chicken stock would also be a good choice too.
As a rule, boiling something typically takes away flavor. Bland food isn’t the goal here!
Instead of a bouillon cube, you can also add fresh garlic, onion slices, a few sprigs of fresh herbs (such as thyme) or slices of lemon to add flavor.
Here are some additional recipes you might enjoy!
Visit our International Recipes section for recipes from our travels around the world.
Poached Chicken Sandwich
Poached Chicken Sandwich. A chicken salad sandwich made with poached chicken with fresh Fennel and Mint. A fun twist on a classic chicken salad recipe.
- 1 Pound (454 g) Chicken Breast
- Chicken Bouillon Cube
- 1/2 Cup (45 g) Fennel Bulb - Diced
- 1 Small Onion - Finely Diced
- 1/4 Cup (7.5 g) Fresh Mint - Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup (70 g) Mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Add the chicken breast into a pot of cold water, making sure it is completely submerged.
- Add the bouillon cube and bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Poach the chicken until it is cooked through and reaches 165 degrees F, 74 C, for 10 minutes.
- Check for donness and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove the chicken and allow it to cool.
- Combine all of the ingredients and adjust the flavor to your liking.
- Pile on a crusty bread roll with sliced tomato, Swiss cheese and arugula.
Amount Per Serving Calories 209Total Fat 8.7gCholesterol 77mgSodium 189mgCarbohydrates 6.8gFiber 1gSugar 1.9gProtein 24.6g