With the amount of time we spend in Mexico, we are familiar with all things tequila, including the ubiquitous margarita. While the traditional lime version is still a favorite, we sometimes like to branch out. Strawberry, mango, and other fruit flavors are pretty easy to find in most restaurants and bars, often served frozen. They can, however, often be a little too sweet for our palates.
This spicy margarita recipe incorporates fresh juice without additional sweetener. We counteract the natural sweetness of the pineapple and orange juices with a kick of heat by adding a slice of muddled jalapeño into the drink. We also rim the glass with salt and chile mixture that heats up things as well.
We use a standard white (100% Agave) tequila in this recipe, but you can substitute mescal for the tequila to create a more complex, smoky-flavored drink.
Don’t forget to add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark it for later
Here are some additional Cocktail recipes you might enjoy:
- 1 jalapeño slice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/8 cup triple sec or Controy
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- Optional: Pineapple wedges and jalapeño slices for garnish
- Mix together salt and chili powder and spread it on a small plate.
- Wet the rim of the glass you plan to use and then dip the rim into the salt/chili mixture. Set aside
- Add lime juice and one slice of jalapeño to shaker. Use a muddler, crush the jalapeño to release the flavor. If you don't have a muddler, you can use a wooden spoon.
- Add orange juice, pineapple juice, tequila, and Controy, then a scoop of ice. Shake well until all ingredients are cold.
- Pour into rimmed glass over ice.
- Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a slice of jalapeño.
Some of the links on this article are affiliate links, which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, we receive a small referral fee. If you find the links useful and do make a purchase, thanks so much for your support!