Pineapple BBQ sauce with Chipotles in Adobo. This Homemade BBQ sauce is sweet, smoky and a little spicy. If you like your barbecue sauce with lots of well balanced flavor, this one is a winner.
The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give the barbecue sauce a it’s lightly smoky flavor and a kick of spice. You can decide to start with adding just one, and add more to notch up the spice.
The flavor is rounded out with sweet fresh pineapples joined together with spices and fresh lime juice.
This quick easy barbecue sauce is fantastic on so many things. Try it on grilled chicken or ribs, slathered on a burger or even on shrimp kabobs or added to pulled pork.
Here are some additional condiment recipes you might enjoy:
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- Juice 1/2 Lime
- 3/4 Cup (158 g) Fresh Pineapple, Chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons (8 g) Dijon Mustard
- 2 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce with 2 Teaspoons (4.7 g) Adobo Sauce
- 6 Tablespoons (83 ml) Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon (1.3 g) Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon (1.3 g) Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon (2 g) Ground Cumin Powder
- 2 Teaspoons (10 ml) Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Sprigs Chopped Cilantro, including the stems (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the ingredients, including just one of the chipotles in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the sauce to a small pan over medium heat. When the sauce reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Continue to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the sauce from burning. Add additional water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Taste the sauce, and add additional chipotles to increase the smoky, spicy notes, more sugar for a sweeter sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the sauce to cool.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 7 - 10 days.
Visit our food finds/recipes section to see our collection of recipes inspired by our travels around the world. Our resources section also has great money saving tips and ideas to help you plan and travel in comfort that we’ve compiled after 4+ years of full time travel around the world!