While traveling through South Africa, we become totally enthralled with Peri-Peri Sauce (or Piri-Piri Sauce). The spicy condiment, is a favorite hot sauce throughout Africa.
What is Peri-Peri Sauce?
Peri Peri Chili Sauce is a hot sauce that originates from Portuguese and African cuisine. The sauce been popularized (and spread internationally) by the chicken fast food chain Nando’s.
The name translates to “pepper pepper” in Swahili, which underscores that this sauce clearly brings the heat!
The sauce is made primarily from African Bird’s Eye Chili Peppers. What these peppers lack in size (they are tiny!) they make up for in flavor.
To make the sauce, the chilies are combined with other ingredients such as lemon juice, garlic, and vinegar. The resulting sauce has a bright red color, along with tangy and citrus notes.
The sauce if often used to flavor meats or vegetables before they are roasted or grilled. It’s also frequently found as a condiment on restaurant tables throughout Africa.
Add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark for later!
In this recipe, Peri-Peri Sauce is to enhance the creamy pasta sauce, made with heavy cream combined with cream cheese, and bring it to a new level.
It’s the perfect way to add a kick of spice without overpowering the dish. Which is why it works really well as an addition to the creamy peri peri pasta sauce in this recipe!
Peri-Peri sauce can be found in the international section of your grocery store. Each preparation has a different level of spice and salt, so use sparingly at first.
Related pasta recipes you might enjoy:
For 4 servings
- 3 Tablespoons (30 ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Medium Red Onion, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup (149 g) Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup (118 ml) Dry White Wine
- 3 Tablespoon (45 ml) Peri-Peri Sauce *
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) Chicken Stock, low salt
- 1/3 Cup (78 ml) Heavy Cream
- 3 Ounces (85 g) Softened Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups (256 g) Penne Pasta cooked al dente
- Fresh Parsley for Garnish
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add to a skillet with olive oil over medium heat and brown on all sides. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and continue to cook until the skin of the tomatoes begins to split.
- Add the wine, chicken stock and peri-peri sauce and continue to sauté until the liquid is reduced by about a third.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the pasta. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream cheese. Stir gently. Then slowly add the cream.
- Return to low heat if needed to fully melt the cheese.
- Taste and adjust the flavor with salt, pepper, additional cheese or a dash of extra peri-peri sauce.
- Garnish with parsley.
*Because each Peri-Peri sauce will vary in heat, we suggest starting with a smaller amount of sauce and adding more to your taste.
Amount Per Serving Calories 411Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 76mgSodium 285mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 25g
Nutritional Values are Estimates Only