While traveling through South Africa I become totally enthralled with Peri-Peri or (Piri-Piri) Sauce. The spicy condiment, made with birds-eye chili peppers, is a favorite hot sauce in Africa.
The peppers are grown in Africa but were embraced by the Portuguese who are credited for inventing the sauce.
There are many versions of Peri-Peri sauce, but all contain the delicious birds eye chili peppers and often garlic, oregano, lemon, vinegar, onion and bell peppers.
Add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark for later!
It’s the perfect way to add a kick of spice without overpowering the dish. Which is why it works really well as an addition to the creamy peri peri pasta sauce in this recipe.
Peri-Peri sauce can be found in the international section of your grocery store. Each preparation has a different level of spice and salt, so use sparingly at first.
Related pasta recipes you might enjoy:
For 4 servings
Peri-Peri Pasta with Chicken
Creamy Peri-Peri Pasta with Chicken. Peri-Peri (Piri-Piri) sauce is a favorite condiment in Africa. It's spicy complex flavor is the perfect addition to recipes, such as this Creamy Peri-Peri Chicken Pasta recipe.
- 3 Tablespoons (30 ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Medium Red Onion, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup (149 g) Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup (118 ml) Dry White Wine
- 3 Tablespoon (45 ml) Peri-Peri Sauce
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) Chicken Stock, low salt
- 1/3 Cup (78 ml) Heavy Cream
- 3 Ounces (85 g) Softened Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups (256 g) Penne Pasta cooked al dente
- Fresh Parsley for Garnish
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add to a skillet with olive oil over medium heat and brown on all sides. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and continue to cook until the skin of the tomatoes begins to split.
- Add the wine, chicken stock and peri-peri sauce and continue to sauté until the liquid is reduced by about a third.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the pasta. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream cheese. Stir gently. Then slowly add the cream.
- Return to low heat if needed to fully melt the cheese.
- Taste and adjust the flavor with salt, pepper, additional cheese or a dash of extra peri-peri sauce.
- Garnish with parsley.
Amount Per Serving Calories 411Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 76mgSodium 285mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 25g
Nutritional Values are Estimates Only