In Italy, many of the most delicious dishes are very simple. The key is to use very few ingredients, but most importantly, only the freshest. Here, you cook with the season.
This fresh penne pasta dish is tossed simply with farm fresh peppery arugula lettuce, sweet cherry tomatoes, and pan toasted hazelnuts.
It’s dressed simply in olive oil and sprinkles with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Each of the ingredients has its own voice in the dish, which doesn’t get lost when combined.
Pin the recipe for later:
It’s easy to experiment with this dish: adding spinach instead of arugula, or pine nuts instead of the hazelnuts. Or try feta cheese instead of the Parmesan.
The key is to cook with the freshest possible ingredients, and keep it simple.
Here are some additional Italian inspired recipes you might enjoy:
- 8 Ounces (227 g) Penne Pasta
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic - Diced
- 1 Cup (21 g) Arugula Lettuce
- 1/4 Cup (40 g) Hazelnuts - Roughly Chopped
- 7 Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
- 1/4 Cup (22.5 g) Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cook the Penne Pasta in salted water per package directions, until ad dente. Drain and set aside.
- In the mean time, add the olive oil to a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and hazelnuts and saute until they begin to brown. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle enough of the olive oil mixture of the pasta to completely coat it. Reserve the rest.
- Toss the pasta gently with the arugula and tomatoes and crushed red pepper and salt and pepper.
- Top with shaved Parmesan.
- Drizzle a little of the extra olive oil mixture over the top, or use the oil mixture to top toasted crusty bread to serve on the side.
Amount Per Serving Calories 363Total Fat 18.7gCholesterol 47mgSodium 90mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 3gSugar 5.9gProtein 11.3g