While traveling through the Umbria region of Italy, I came across more and more dishes using one of the prized ingredients of this area – white truffles. People seem to have either a strong dislike or an intense love for this pungent ingredient. I fall into the strongly enamored group. Which is one reason I was so excited to plant my feet here and start eating – and cooking.
This truffled pasta dish is designed in layers of flavor. The warm pasta is tossed with the white truffle cream made with porcini mushrooms and white truffles.
The heat from the freshly cooked pasta warms the mushrooms and brings out the flavor and aroma of the truffles. The chicken is layered on top and finished with the tomato and mushroom sauce. The truffle flavor intensifies the mushroom flavor in the sauce and is complimented by the acidity of the tomatoes.
The ingredient list is small and the time cooking brief, but the resulting flavor is fantastic. Your boring everyday pasta is now ready for date night!
Pin or bookmark the recipe for later
If you can’t find truffle paste, you can also use a few drops of truffle oil to get a similar result.
Here are a few additional Italian inspired dishes you might enjoy:
Pasta with Chicken, Tomato, Mushrooms and White Truffles
Pasta in a sauce with chicken, tomato, mushrooms and white truffles. Simple to make and ready for date night!
- 2 Chicken Breasts - fat removed, thinly sliced lengthwise to produce 6 slices.
- Jennifer Evans
- 8 Ounces (227 g) Spaghetti cooked in salted water per package directions.
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion - Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic - Diced
- 1 14 Ounce (411 g) Can Crushed tomatoes
- 1 Cup (80 g) Sliced Crimini or Button Mushrooms - Thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup (118 ml) White Wine
- 1/2 Cup (118 ml) Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 3 Tablespoons (5 g) Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) White Truffle Cream*
- Additional Parsley and Shaved Parmesan Cheese as a garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Note: for a more pronounced truffle flavor, finish with white truffle infused salt
- Lightly coat the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add them to a sauce pan over medium heat with the olive oil and cook until they just begin to brown.Remove from the pan and and set aside. Note: if you cannot find thin sliced chicken breast you can also cut the larger breast into three sections and pound it thin with a meat tenderizer.
- Place the onion into the sauté pan over medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, and continue to cook until the onion is translucent. The garlic should be slightly browned but not burned.
- Add the mushrooms, tomato, white wine, broth and a few tablespoons of chopped parsley.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook for 15 - 20 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Return the chicken to the sauté pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In the mean time, coat the warm cooked pasta lightly with olive oil and dust lightly with salt and pepper. Toss the pasta with the truffle cream. If you don't have access to truffle cream, substitute a few drops of white truffle oil and or truffle salt.
- Assemble the dish by placing the pasta at the bottom of a bowl. Using a slotted spoon place a piece of chicken on top with some of the mushroom sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and shaved Parmesan cheese.
If you aren't able to find Truffle Cream in your market, you can substitute a 2 drops of white truffle oil for each tablespoon of Truffle Cream.