A Spanish Tortilla is a deceptively simple dish. This potato, onion and egg dish has just a few very familiar ingredients.
One taste will tell you all you need to know about why you will find this dish in most restaurant menus when traveling throughout Spain.
Don’t forget to pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
The technique for cooking the potatoes and onions together in a bath of olive oil gives them a rich and creamy texture that melts in your mouth.
Mastering the method for making a Spanish Tortilla takes some practice.
It involves partially cooking the egg and potato mixture until it is partially set, and then flipping it over by inverting the tortilla onto a dish and sliding it back into the pan.
That can be an intimidating undertaking with a full-sized tortilla, which is why I suggest practicing with this mini sized version.
A small sauté pan, 5 1/2 inches by 1 inch deep (14 cm X 2.5 cm) was used for this recipe, which makes 2 mini tortillas.
The results are just as tasty while any concerns about having an unfortunate kitchen disaster are minimized.
Best served room temperature but the tortilla can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days and is also delicious when eaten cold.
Spanish Tortilla Variation – Chorizo and Cilantro
As a variation to the Mini Spanish Tortilla recipe, consider spicing things up with a little Chorizo Sausage! We added a link of crumbled Mexican Chorizo and 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. The results were amazingly delicious!
Perfect as part of a complete Spanish Tapas Menu!
If you’ve tried a Spanish Tortilla then odds are you have also been exposed to other favorite Spanish Tapas Dishes. We’ve added a few of our favorites, including our favorite Sangria recipe.
Mini Spanish Tortilla (Tortilla Española)
Mini Spanish Tortilla (Tortilla Española) - a Spanish egg and potato dish, served either warm or cold. Taste why this deceptively simple Spanish omelet is a staple in homes and menus throughout Spain.
- 1 large Potato, Russet or Yukon Gold
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) Olive Oil + Extra Virgin
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 2 Jumbo Eggs
- Peel and Wash the Potatoes. Slice into 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch pieces ( 3 mm - 6 mm ), approximately the size of a quarter.
- Thinly slice the onion in to approximately the same size.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Lightly salt the potatoes and onion, then add them to the oil. Cook at a gentle boil, turning them occasionally for approximately 15 minutes. The goal is to cook the potatoes until they are soft and fork tender but not crumbling or browning.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander over a dish to collect the olive oil. Set aside and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and lightly season with salt. Beat until they are slightly frothy.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the reserved olive oil to a small frying pan (5 1/2 inches by 1 inch deep) over medium heat. Make sure that the pan is coated on all sides.
- Combine the potato mixture and eggs together. Then place 1/2 into the pan. The pan should be almost full. Gently press the potatoes to make sure they are evenly distributed in the pan.
- Allow the tortilla mixture to cook for about 5 minutes. During cooking, use a rubber spatula to gently press the sides of the tortilla inward as it cooks, which will result in a disc shaped tortilla.
- Once the bottom of the tortilla begins to brown slightly and the top is just beginning to set, prepare to turn the tortilla. Place a flat plate on top of the pan, and quickly invert the pan into the plate. Then gently slide the tortilla back into the pan.
- Cook for another 2 - 3 minutes, until the bottom begins to lightly brown. The remove the tortilla and allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining potato mixture for a second mini tortilla. The reserved oil form the first tortilla can be used but additional Extra Virgin Olive Oil may be needed to have the 3/4 cup (180 ml) for for frying.
Amount Per Serving Calories 318Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 4.3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat n/1gCholesterol 82mgSodium 121mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 6g
Friday 24th of June 2022
1/8 inch is 3.175mm not cm 1/4 inch is 6.35 mm not cm
Thursday 2nd of June 2022
Yummy. Simple and affordable.