Green Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that we first discovered on a trip to Bologna, Italy. Bologna is in the Emilia Romagna region of Italy where Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese is produced. It is also the place where Bolognese sauce originated.
These two ingredients are paired up in this recipe with a classic béchamel sauce and fresh green lasagna noodles. The pasta itself is green from the addition of spinach in the pasta dough.
The thick meaty Ragù alla Bolognese Sauce is designed specifically to go with broad noodles such as tagliatelle or lasagna that stand up to the dense flavorful sauce.
Pin the recipe for later!
If you don’t have a specialty shop with fresh pasta, don’t worry – you can use dried lasagna noodles that are cooked al dente and still get good results.
Just make sure you use a nice thick bolognese ragù sauce and authentic Parmigiano-Reggiano for best results. Any Italian cook will let you that it’s all about starting with quality ingredients and letting their flavors shine through.
Here are some additional Italian inspired recipes you might enjoy:
Green Lasagna with Ragù alla Bolognese
Green Lasagna with Ragù alla Bolognese and classic Bechemel Sauce - A tradtional recipe originating from Bologna Italy
- 3 - 4 Sheets Fresh Spinach Lasagne Noodes (cut to fit pan size) (or 12 lasagne noodles cooked al dente
- 4 Cups (i kg) Ragu Bolognese, follow link to recipe
- 1 Pound (455 g) Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- 8 Ounces (227 g) Fresh Grated Pamesan-Reggiano
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 Tablespoons (100 g) Butter
- 4 Tablespoons (25 g) All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Cups (945 ml) Whole Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon (1 g) Nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Bolognese Ragu Sauce
- For the Bechemel Sauce:
- Add the butter to a sauce pan over medium heat
- Add the flour and stir until a smooth paste is formed
- Slowly add the milk and bring the mixture to a slow boil
- Continue to stir until a the sauce is very thick (about 8 - 10 minutes)
- Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste
- Coat a 9" X 13" (23cm X 33 cm) baking dish with the olive oil.
- Add a small layer of Bolognese sauce to the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of noodles. Cover with Bolognese sauce, top with bechemel then spinkle with Parmesan. Finish with a layer of mozzarella and then begin again with a layer of noodles.
- The last layer should be noodles covered with bechemel and parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 F degrees (190 C) for approximately 30 minutes. The sauce should be bubbling and the edges of the dish should be browned.
- Remove and allow the lasagna to set for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 475Total Fat 29gCholesterol 165mgSodium 396mgCarbohydrates 30.7gFiber .7gSugar 6.3gProtein 23,1g