Pão de Queijo are a favorite snack in Brazil. These cheesy pastries are small bites of cheese bread that are eaten all day long.
They are loved for a reason. Unlike the cheese puffs that you are acquainted with, these have a stretchy texture and are gluten-free. This is due to the flour used to make them.
Yucca, cassava or manioc flour is a staple in Brazil. You can find it at any meal of the day. It is prepared in numerous ways from a crunchy dish with bananas to a garlic spiked side dish with dinner.
Pão de Queijo is typically made with whatever cheese is available – usually mozzarella, parmesan, or (if you want to be traditional) Minas cheese. We use parmesan in our recipe because we think the hard cheese packs more flavor.
Pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
In this case, the flour is formed into scrumptious balls of cheesiness that will satisfy you any time of the day.
Here are some additional Brazilian Recipes you might enjoy!
- 1 cup (237 ml) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (290 g) Manioc Flour (Tapioca Starch)
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (135 g) Parmesan cheese
- Add the milk, butter and salt to a sauce pan over medium heat. Remove it from the heat when bubbles begin to form.
- Mix in the Manioc Flour and set aside.
- When the mixture is cool enough to handle, slowly mix in the egg.
- After the egg has been completely mixed in, add the Parmesan cheese. You can substitute any hard cheese of your choosing.
- The dough at this point should be slightly less firm than a cookie dough.
- Form the dough into 1 inch round balls and place on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart. The dough will be quite sticky so it is handy to have a bowl of warm water on the side to clean your hands and help form the balls.
- Place the cookie sheets in a 400 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes. When the puffs begin to brown remove them from the oven and place them on a plate to cool.
- The puffs are best served when still warm but can be stored covered in refrigerator and warmed over low heat in the oven.
Amount Per Serving Calories 165Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 48mgSodium 297mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 6g