Georgian Salad with Walnut Dressing (Salati Nigvzit) is a refreshing simple salad with with tomatoes, cucumbers and onions in a fragrant blended walnut dressing.
Dishes from the country of Georgia, which is situated above Turkey between Europe and Asia, tend to be on the heavy side. Fans of comfort food will find plenty to enjoy during a visit to this beautiful Caucasus region of Eurasia.
Georgian tables are often filled with dishes meant to share, such as freshly baked cheese stuffed bread (khachapuri) or plump dumplings with a savory meat filling (khinkali) or platters of skewered meat roasted over an open flame. Beyond meat, cheese and bread, two other ingredients make a popular appearance in Georgian cuisine.
Don’t forget to pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
One is the frequent use of walnuts as an ingredient, often finely chopped and blended into the dish. The other is a spice blend, khmeli suneli, fondly referred to as Georgian curry.
It is made with blue fenugreek, ground marigold flowers and other spices. You can find it is the international section of some grocery stores, or alternatively use 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric, ground coriander and blue fenugreek.
Walnuts and khuni suneli both make an appearance in this deceptively simple Georgian salad. This refreshing dish is a welcome addition to a Georgian feast, which is always accompanied by a nice bottle (or jug) of Georgian wine.
Visit our guide to Georgian Cuisine for more recipes and ideas for making a full Georgian feast at home.
Related articles about travel in the country of Georgia and Georgian Cuisine and Recipes that you might enjoy:
Yield up to 4 appetizer size salads
Georgian Tomato Cucumber and Onion Salad with Walnut Dressing
Georgian Salad with Tomato, Cucumbers and Onions with a fragrant Walnut Dressing from the Country of Georgia
- 1/2 Cup (50 g) Walnuts
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons (3g) Khmeli Suneli (Georgian spice mix - can be substituted with 1/2 teaspoon (1 g each) ground blue fenugreek, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds)
- 1 Tablespoon (2 sprigs) Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon (2 sprigs) Parsley, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Red Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup (80 ml) Water
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 2 Medium Cucumbers
- 1/3 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper, optional
- Purple Basil Leaves, optional
- Parsley & Cilantro Sprigs, as a garnish
- Wash and chop the tomatoes, cucumber and onions and arrange them in a bowl.
- Place the dry spices, cilantro, parsley, water, walnuts, garlic and vinegar in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. The mixture should form a paste that can be slowly poured. Add more water if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Seed the jalapeno and cut it into small rings (omit to avoid the spice, add more to kick up the heat).
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and garnish with a few sprigs of fresh parsley, cilantro, purple basil and jalapeno rings.
Amount Per Serving Calories 126Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 83mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 4g
Sunday 21st of February 2021
Thanks for the salad.