This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I happened to have several figs left-over from a poached fig with walnuts and chocolate dessert I made earlier in the week.
Figs (in my experience) are one of those ingredients that don’t get used very often, and then when you have them the few left over end up lingering in the pantry until you finally decide to toss them.
Not wanting the figs to go to waste, I decided to put together an easy chutney that I could use with a cheese platter I was planning for later in the week.
It was a huge success.
Pin the recipe for later:
The sweet flavor of the chutney worked really well with the sharp cheese (I used a semi-salty feta- like Turkish cheese on this occasion).
I could also see the chutney working really well spread over crostini with ricotta, in a grilled cheese sandwich with brie or even as a burger topping.
Those stranded few figs will be rescued and your taste buds well rewarded.
Note: If you are making the poached walnut and fig recipe, you can use 1 cup of liquid from that recipe and 1 cup of water in exchange for the lemon juice, cloves, and sugar in this recipe).
Here are some additional condiment and salsa recipes you might enjoy!
- 5 Dried Figs (diced)
- 1 Medium Onion (sliced into thin slivers)
- 1 Tablespoon (14 g) Butter
- 2 Cups (473 ml) Water
- 1/2 Cup (100 g) Sugar
- Juice 1/4 Lemon
- Pinch Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Place the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. When it is melted add the figs and onion. Cook until the onions become translucent.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the fig mixture and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover. Continue to simmer for approximately 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the figs have broken down and the liquid has cooked off.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then place covered in the refrigerator until ready for use.
Amount Per Serving Calories 96Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 4mgSodium 33mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 0g