Curried black eyed peas became a favorite side dish or appetizer while traveling in through Turkey.
The wonderful tradition of offering an assortment of cold and hot appetizers (mezze) along with warm bread is a tradition we have carried on since our visit.
Here are a few additional recipes that we often pair with the salad to make a complete platter.
Yogurt Dip with Jalapeno and Fresh Herbs
Warm Eggplant Dip with Ottoman Spice Mix
Fig and Onion Chutney Served with Feta Cheese
If you are one of the many people who eat black eyed peas on New Years day to bring luck and properity in the coming year, this recipe is a great choice! The cold curried salad is easy to make and full of fresh herbs and spices.
Here are some additional salad recipes you might enjoy:
Pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
Curried Black Eyed Peas
Curried Black-Eyed Peas with Fresh Mint and Dill. Perfect as a side salad, appetizer, or as part of a complete Mezze Platter
- 1 Cup (145 g) Dry Black Eyed Peas - 3 Cups Cooked (480 g)
- 3 Tablespoons (5 g) Fresh Mint (minced)
- 3 Tablespoons (5 g) Fresh Dill (minced)
- 3 Tablespoons (5 g) Fresh Parsley (minced)
- 1/2 Sweet White Onion (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (minced)
- 2 Teaspoons (2 g) Yellow Curry Powder
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon (7 g) Honey
- 1/4 Teaspoon (.25 g) Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Place the peas in a pot and cover with water. Bring the pot to a boil for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the peas to soak for 60 minutes.
- Drain and return the beans the pot.
- Cover with water and bring the pot to a boil. Continue to cook until the peas are soft but not mushy, (Approximately 30 minutes).
- Stain the peas and allow them to cool.
- Add the fresh herbs, onions and red bell peppers.
- Combine the olive oil, honey, dry herbs and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the beans.
- Serve with lemon.
Amount Per Serving Calories 92Total Fat 2.4gSodium 13mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 7.2gSugar 2.3gProtein 6.5g