(Last Updated On: June 15, 2019)
This dish was inspired by a mezze platter that I had while visiting Turkey. They have a wonderful tradition of offering an assortment of cold and hot appetizers (mezze) along with warm bread.
This cold curried black-eyed pea dish became one of our favorites. It’s easy to make and full of fresh herbs and spices.
Pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
Other Turkish Recipes to create your own mezze platter:
- 2 Cups Dry Black Eyed Peas
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Mint (minced)
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Dill (minced)
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Onion (minced)
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Red Bell Pepper (minced)
- 2 Teaspoons Yellow Curry Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Place the peas in a pot and cover with water. Bring the pot to a boil for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the peas to soak for 60 minutes.
- Drain and return the beans the pot.
- Cover with water and bring the pot to a boil. Continue to cook until the peas are soft but not mushy, Approximately 30 minutes).
- Stain the peas and allow them to cool.
- Add the fresh herbs, onions and red bell peppers.
- Combine the olive oil, honey, dry herbs and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the beans.
- Serve with lemon.
Turksih Meatballs – Kofte
Yogurt Dip with Jalapeno and Fresh Herbs
Warm Eggplant Dip with Ottoman Spice Mix
Pin the recipe for later: