Corn on the cob is one of our favorite summertime dishes. I could make (and have) an entire meal of it alone. Thoughts of the kernels dripping with butter and salt brings so many fond memories of summer meals with family and friends. So why change such a simple and perfectly wonderful way of eating corn?
I have encountered plenty of skeptics when I suggest trying cilantro-lime butter on their precious ear of sun-ripened golden corn. After reluctantly adding a bit of the spiced butter to a small corner, more often than not the reaction is a wide-eyed “Oh my god, I’ll never eat corn without this again.”
The lime juice wakes up the flavor of the corn, enhancing it without becoming overpowering. The cayenne pepper adds just a bit of spice and together with lime juice combines together to give sweet, sour and spicy notes all at the same time.
Add to your recipe collection on Pinterest!
- 6 Ears Fresh Corn
- 1 Stick Butter, Softened
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro , Packed
- 1 Lime
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Remove husk and silk from the corn. (Optional) Cut the corn into 1 1/2 inch rounds.
- Add enough water to a pot so that the corn will be fully covered. Add the sugar and bring the water to a boil.
- In the mean time, zest the lime and add the juice and zest to the butter in a small dish.
- Finely chop the cilantro and add it to the butter. Combine thoroughly. The butter mixture can be made in advance and placed in the refrigerator.
- When the water begins to boil, add the corn and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the corn from the water and drain thoroughly.
- Place the rounds in a large bowl and add 1/2 of the butter, allowing it to melt over the top.
- Serve the remaining butter with the corn so that each person can add as much as they like.
Serving Size1 Ear of Corn
Amount Per Serving Calories 209 Total Fat 16.2g Sodium 120mg Carbohydrates 16.6g Fiber 2.1g Sugar 4.5g
Related recipes for a complete picnic or backyard barbecue menu:
Some of the links on this article are affiliate links, which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, we receive a small referral fee. If you find the links useful and do make a purchase, thanks so much for your support!