When I first heard about Mexican Chilaquiles, I wasn’t so sure about them. A breakfast food made with tortilla chips and eggs, like breakfast nachos, could be either amazing or a complete disaster. As it turns out, they are delicious and are now one of my favorite brunch dishes.
In this version the chilaquiles are finished with black beans, cheese and fried eggs and then topped with fresh cilantro, tomatoes and red onions. Another common topping is shredded chicken or beef. They are fantastic for brunch or even a weekday dinner
Don’t forget to pin or bookmark this post for later!
If you’re looking for other brunch recipe ideas, try this related Sunrise Quesadilla recipe make with bacon and fontina cheese.
- 12 - 18 Fried Tortilla Chips
- 2 Eggs
- 1 12 oz (340 g) Can Refried Black, or Pinto Beans
- 1 Teaspoon (2 g) Cumin Powder
- 1 oz (28 g) Finely Grated Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- 1 oz (28 g) Feta or Cojita Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups (355 ml) Enchilada Sauce
- Tomato and Red Onion Slices, thinly sliced, as a garnish
- Limes, Cilantro, Hot Sauce and Sour Cream or Crema for Garnishing
- Place the beans in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add cumin powder and bring to a boil. Add 1/4 cup of water in order to thin them slightly and then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Heat the enchilada sauce in a frying pan over medium heat.
- In the mean time, prepare 2 sunny-side-up eggs.
- Add the tortilla chips to the enchilada sauce in the frying pan making sure they are all evenly coated and warmed.
- Layer 1/2 of the tortilla chips to the bottom of a serving dish.
- Top with the black beans and jack/cheddar cheese.
- Add another layer of tortilla chips and top with the slices of tomato, onion and chopped cilantro.
- Add the fried eggs and sprinkle with the feta or cojita cheese. Serve immediately
Amount Per Serving Calories 414Total Fat 18.6gSaturated Fat 7.3gSodium 414mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 14gProtein 21g
Feel free to head over to our international recipes section to see our full collection of recipes inspired by our ongoing travels around the world.
Love Mexican Food? Considering a visit to Mexico? See these related articles that just might inspire you to get traveling!