This Chicken Paprikash Recipe is a staple dish in Hungary. Make sure to use the freshest Hungarian Sweet Paprika you can find in order to get the full authentic flavor of this dish. One taste and you’ll understand why this is a favorite dish in Hungary – classic comfort food at it’s finest!
Don’t forget to pin or bookmark the recipe for later:
- 3 Tablespoons (3g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) Vegetable Oil
- 4 Pieces Chicken (bone in), Traditionally legs and thighs
- 4 Tablespoons (27.6g) Fresh Sweet Hungarian Paprika
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Tablespoons (28g)Tomato Paste
- 2 Cups (473ml) Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup (61.3g) Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons (7.6g) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Eros Pista (Optional) on the side
- Add half of flour to a plastic bag with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place chicken pieces in the bag and shake until coated. Remove them from the bag and shake off excess.
- Heat vegetable oil (not olive) in a frying pan. Add the chicken cook until golden brown on each side.
- Add enough Vegetable Oil to coat the bottom of a dutch oven and put it over medium heat. Add the minced onion and cook until it translucent.
- Add garlic, paprika, and red peppers and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning the paprika.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken and chicken broth (there should be enough to just cover the chicken. Simmer for 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Combine the sour cream with 1 tablespoons of flour in a bowl. Add about 1 cup of liquid from the hot mixture to the sour cream in order to warm it slightly. Add slowly into the dutch oven and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 310Total Fat 17.8gSaturated Fat 5.6gSodium 455mgCarbohydrates 17.5gFiber 4.5gSugar 5.2gProtein 21.3g