Chicken Enchilada Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes for a few reasons. A good basic vegetable and chicken soup is nice, but add to that a little bit of spice, a thicker consistency with the addition of corn flour (masa harina), and a good dose of cheese. Chicken soup just got taken to a whole new level. The soup just keeps getting better by piling on the toppings.
I like my soup loaded with sour cream, crispy tortilla strips, pico de gallo, more cheese, fresh cilantro, green onions and then a dash of hot sauce. And the last thing to love about this soup (beyond the fact that it is absolutely delicious) is that it can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes from start to finish!
The soup is similar to it’s better known cousin, Chicken Tortilla Soup.
The biggest difference between the two is the rich creamy broth with the addition of masa harina to the broth. It adds thickness but also the flavor of toasted corn. So delicious!
Pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
Here are a few related soup recipes that you might enjoy:
- 2 Chicken Breasts, chopped into small bite sized pieces
- 2 Tablespoons (28 ml) Vegetable Oil, divided
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ Poblano Chile Pepper, Diced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons (7.5 g) Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Cup (64 g) Corn Flour (Masa Harina)
- 3 Cups (709 ml) Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup (235 ml) Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 1/2 Cups (360 g) prepared black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 Cup (90 g) Sweet Corn
- 8 Ounces (100 g) Grated Cheese (such as cheddar, jack, manchego, or chihuahua).
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Topping Suggestions: tortilla chips/strips, avocado, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, pico de gallo, green onions, hot sauce
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to a small stock pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the chicken.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt & pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through. *
- Add in the second table spoon on oil and then add the onions to the pan and sauté until they are translucent (5 to 8 minutes).
- Add the garlic and the poblano chile and the rest of the cumin and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the masa harina and about 1/2 cup (118 ml) of the chicken stock. Stir until the mixture comes to a boil. This will remove the raw flavor from the flour.
- Add the rest of the stock and the enchilada sauce and stir until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Bring the soup to a slow boil.
- Add the chicken, black beans and corn.
- Stir occasionally until the mixture returns to a simmer.
- Add the cheese slowly until it is melted and thoroughly combined into the soup.
- Ladle into bowls, pile on your favorite toppings and enjoy!
2 cups (250g) of shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey will also work well in this recipe. If you decide to use cooked poultry just add during step #8. A vegetarian version of the soup can be made by omitting the poultry and using vegetable stock instead.
Amount Per Serving Calories 414Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 64mgSodium 522mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 25g
Nutritional values are estimated and depend on the exact ingredients used.