We first sampled pasta with walnut sauce during a trip through Italy, where walnuts are a prized ingredient.
There are many versions walnut sauce (salsa di noci) – including very simple preparations where pulverized walnuts are added to milk and breadcrumbs and then tossed with pasta.
I prefer to use granule sized walnut chunks to add more texture to the dish.
If you’re looking for a lower carb option, you can also use this sauce over roasted cauliflower or spaghetti squash. It’s also very good over a thick pasta noodle such as tagliatelle.
Visit our food finds/recipe section to see our full collection of recipes inspired by our travels around the world.
Don’t forget to pin or bookmark the recipe for later!
Here are some additional Italian inspired recipes that you might enjoy
- 10 Ounces (300 g) Premade Cheese Ravioli
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 Tablespoons (29 g) Walnut, Minced
- 4 Tablespoons (57 g) Butter
- 2 Tablespoons (31 g) All-purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup (60 ml) Dry White Wine
- ¼ Cup (60 ml) Vegetable or Chicken Broth, low salt
- 1 ½ (375 ml) Cups Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup (30 g) Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Teaspoon (.45 g) Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Parsley, for garnish
- Cook the ravioli per package directions
- Add the butter to a sauce pan over medium heat. Once it is melted, add the walnuts and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes until they become fragrant. Do not allow them to burn or become overly toasted.
- Add the flour and stir together to form a paste
- Add the wine and brothe, and allow the mixture to reduce by about half (about 7 minutes)
- Slowly add in the milk, stirring constantly and not allowing the sauce to reach a rapid boil.
- Add the red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese and allow the cheese it to melt into the sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with additional granulated walnuts and Parmesan cheese and a sparse amount of Parsley(optional).
Amount Per Serving Calories 395Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 62mgSodium 497mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 15g