Champiñones al Ajillo (Garlic Mushroom Tapas) are a wonderful addition to any appetizer or tapas menu!
Since spending time in Spain, we have become quite enamored with tapas. Spanish Tapas are small dishes or little appetizers often served alongside a glass of wine or sangria.
Enjoying tapas with friends is a great way to unwind after a long day while getting to sample a lot of different dishes, which is one of our favorite ways to eat.
This Champinones al Ajillo recipe is a great example of a traditional tapas recipe. The mushrooms are lightly seasoned with a good quality olive oil, garlic and simmered in wine. Simple but delicious.
Our Champinones al Ajillo recipe adds some dried little Pequin peppers for extra spice and color.
How to make Champinones al Ajillo
How to Clean Mushrooms
Champiñones al Ajillo has become popular in other parts of the world as well, particularly in Latin America, where it is often served as a side dish or a topping for tacos and other dishes.
Here are some additional tapas and Spanish recipes to make a full Tapas Party Menu!
Champinones al Ajillo - Garlic Mushroom Tapas
Mushrooms browned with garlic and simmered in dry white wine and Pequin peppers. A delicious dish to compliment a Spanish Tapas Menu.
- 1 Lb (1/2 kg) of Button or Similar Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup (118 ml) Dry White Wine
- 10 Dried Pequin Peppers *
- 2 Sprigs Flat Leaf Parsley - diced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- Clean the mushrooms (see detailed instructions above).
- Quarter the mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and add the minced garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to brown (about 6 - 8 minutes).
- Add the Piquin pepper and wine. Sauté until the wine is mostly evaporated (about 5 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the parsley and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes can be substituted for the pequin peppers
Amount Per Serving Calories 155Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 160mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 3g
Nutritional Values are Estimates Only