This is a simplified version of the Classic Italian Bolognese Sauce. Full of flavor but you can whip this up in 30 minutes for dinner any night of the week.
Here are a few additional Italian inspired recipes you might enjoy:
- 500 g (1 lb) of quality ground beef (max 15% fat) or 350 g (3/4 pound) Italian Sausage
- 1 Small Carrot
- 1 Celery Stick
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 12 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Seasoning (black pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, balsamic vinegar, sugar) to taste
- Grate or finely chop the carrot and celery (celeriac), onion and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the vegetables, and sauté gently until softened. Make sure the garlic doesn’t burn or it will become bitter.
- Add the minced beef and the salt and sauté until browned at medium to high heat. Then add the red wine and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Then add the tomato paste and tomatoes. Add only enough of the chopped tomatoes so the sauce does not become too runny. Allow the sauce to simmer gently for about 15 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Finally season the sauce with pepper, basil and other herbs, and balance the taste if necessary with more salt, a pinch of sugar or a drop of balsamic vinegar.
Pin it for later
The Recipe comes courtesy of our Chef Daniele Toniolo who invites people from around the world to cook and dine with him in his home in Prague every Thursday night. In addition to his Cook and Meet Events, Daniele also hosts gourmet tours to his native Italy.
Some of the links on this article are affiliate links, which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, we receive a small referral fee. If you find the links useful and do make a purchase, thanks so much for your support!