Simple Bolognese Sauce takes the complex process of making Classic Italian Bolognese Sauce from a several hour process down to 40 minutes from start to finish.
We use a combination of Italian sausage and beef as the base from which to build flavor. The vegetables, tomatoes, tomato paste and spices simmer together for 30 minutes and then you are ready to use it over your favorite pasta.
Pin it for later
Here are a few additional Italian inspired recipes you might enjoy:
Bolognese Sauce Made Simple
Simple Bolognese Sauce with ground beef and Italian Sausage. A nice weekday meal recipe that comes together within 40 minutes.
- 500 g (1 lb) of quality ground beef (max 15% fat) or 350 g (3/4 pound) Italian Sausage
- 1 Small Carrot
- 1 Celery Stick
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 12 oz (337 g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons (28 g) Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Olive Oil
- Seasoning (black pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, balsamic vinegar, sugar) to taste
- Grate or finely chop the carrot and celery (celeriac), onion and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the vegetables, and sauté gently until softened. Make sure the garlic doesn’t burn or it will become bitter.
- Add the minced beef and the salt and sauté until browned at medium to high heat. Then add the red wine and allow the alcohol to evaporate (about 3 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste and tomatoes. Add only enough of the chopped tomatoes so the sauce does not become too runny. Allow the sauce to simmer gently for about 15 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Finally season the sauce with pepper, basil and other herbs, and balance the taste if necessary with more salt, a pinch of sugar or a drop of balsamic vinegar.
The Recipe comes courtesy of our Chef Daniele Toniolo who invites people from around the world to cook and dine with him in his home in Prague every Thursday night. In addition to his Cook and Meet Events, Daniele also hosts gourmet tours to his native Italy.