I’m always looking for new recipes for chicken. This baked and then grilled bone-in chicken recipe with a sweet and spicy barbecue sauce is a winner! The chipotle peppers (smoked jalepenos) in adobo sauce give the sauce a slightly smoky and a kick of spice. The flavor is rounded out with sweet fresh pineapples joined together with spices and fresh lime juice. I suggest baking the chicken to par cook it and minimize the amount of time the chicken remains on the grill so that the sauce can work its magic without becoming charred.
- 4 Pieces of Bone-in Chicken
- 2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- Juice 1/2 Lime
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Pineapple, Chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Mild Dijon Mustard
- 2 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce with 2 Teaspoons Adobo Sauce
- 6 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro (including the stems)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Additional Lime Wedges and Cilantro for Garnish
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Then coat with vegetable oil and lightly dust with fine salt.
- Place the chicken in a 375 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, place the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste liberally with the barbecue sauce.
- Place on a grill and continue cooking for about 7 minutes on each side. Baste the chicken several time as it cooks.
- Continue grilling until the chicken is cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges and serve with extra barbecue sauce on the side.
Pin the recipe for later!
Visit our food finds/recipes section to see our collection of recipes inspired by our travels around the world. Our resources section also has great money saving tips and ideas to help you plan and travel in comfort that we’ve compiled after 2+ years of full time travel around the world!