Bacon and Egg Spaghetti is a twist on the classic Italian dish, Spaghetti all Carbonara. I use standard strips of bacon (rather than pancetta bacon) and partially cook the eggs in order to add texture.
The result is a rich, creamy pasta dish along with savory smoky bacon. The dish comes together very quickly, which makes it perfect for a weekday dinner. It also a perfect recipe for Sunday Brunch.
Add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark for later!
Here are some additional related recipes you might enjoy!
- 1 lb (.45kg) dry spaghetti
- 6 strips of thick sliced bacon, 8 strips if using a thinner
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.4g) of crushed red pepper flakes
- handful of roughly chopped Italian parsley
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Add 4 - 5 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup (118ml) of the pasta water.
- In the mean time, brown bacon in a pan until crispy. Remove bacon and blot on a paper towel. Crumble when cool.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and garlic to the pan and cook until the garlic just begins to brown (do not burn).
- Crack eggs into the pan and cook until the egg whites are almost set (the yolks should still be runny in order to create the sauce.
- Add the drained pasta, bacon and crushed red pepper to the pan and stir, breaking up the egg whites.
- Add additional olive oil (or you can use a little of the pasta water) if the pasta is not completely coated with sauce.
- Toss with the cheese and the parsley along with a sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 341Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 218mgSodium 828mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 19g
Nutritional values are estimates only
Visit our International Recipes section to see our full collection of recipes inspired by our ongoing travels around the world!